You’ve likely heard quinoa talked about on television, seen it on menus and spotted it on recipes lately. Quinoa is creating quite a buzz because of its many benefits, but just what is quinoa good for?
The answer is that quinoa is an ideal food to eat to assist with many dietary goals, including:
– Blood sugar control. If you have diabetes, keeping control of your blood glucose levels is key. A healthy diet that includes quinoa has been clinically shown to reduce free glucose levels, leading to fewer sudden spikes in blood sugar during the day.
– Cardiovascular health. Rich in manganese and fibre, quinoa helps to support the activities of the cardiovascular system. Regularly eating quinoa can lead to lower LDL or “bad” cholesterol and higher HDL or “good” cholesterol. The seed is also shown to normalize blood sugar levels.
– Increased protein. Protein is essential to building strong muscle tissue and supplying the body with energy. Quinoa contains all of the essential amino acids necessary to manufacture proteins as well as lean protein in its raw form. This makes quinoa an excellent addition to the diet, particularly for vegetarians looking for animal-free protein sources.
– Digestive health. The fibre found in quinoa assists with digestion and can help prevent indigestion. The seed also helps decrease the frequency of bouts of constipation.
– Lessening symptoms of anaemia. Rich in iron, quinoa is an excellent addition to the diet of those with anaemia. Iron is essential to carrying oxygen through the body, so many people find that adding quinoa to the diet gives them greater endurance and energy during workouts.
– Fighting signs of aging. Manganese is a powerful antioxidant that helps to slow down the aging process by destroying free radicals. As a result, quinoa is good for those concerned about the appearance of their skin.
As a superfood, quinoa offers health benefits for virtually everyone. By regularly adding this versatile seed to baked goods, salads, soups, sides and main dishes, you can improve your diet and enjoy better health.